Skyfort Playset Installation – Day 18 (4/16)

Friday was a day of no playset building due to other evening activities, and things were not looking good for Saturday either. It’s been pretty frustrating the past few weeks how each week it’s been beautiful on Sunday (a day of rest when I don’t work on this) but rainy and cold each Saturday.

And it was definitely rainy and cold this Saturday but at least in the afternoon, the rain kept itself contained to a mild drizzle and while it certainly wasn’t PLEASANT out, it was at least tolerable. Scott and I ended up going out there at about 2pm and we worked until dinner time. In retrospect, that may have been too much time working in one sitting as I was plenty sore in the evening and had to lie down for the evening as my back was not enjoying life.

I had put the rafters on the roof back on Thursday, and so the first task for today was putting on the end boards (that cover the “triangle” part of the roof). The instructions specifically state (and I read them like five times) that there is an opening for a window on the back, and no opening on the front. Which is all fine and good, but the pictures also specifically show a window on the front (the back is tragically absent from any pictures). I didn’t want to mess with the instructions, so I put the window on the back.

As I was boarding up the front part of the roof, I realized that I had put the back boards on the outside (at a very high degree of difficulty since it required me being 10′ off the ground on a ladder) rather than on the inside (which would have been much easier as I could have just used the stepladder on the 2nd story floor boards). So chalk that up for a mistake. Luckily it wasn’t too bad to unscrew them from the outside and put them on the inside.

Steps 62 and 63 were putting some Soffit Caps on the sides, and it was then that I realized (after way too much wrangling of the instructions and such) that back when I was putting the bay windows in the back that I also needed to put a set of windows on the left side (Step 55 in its entirety: “Repeat procedure on left side Bay Window per diagram”). Of course, the boards did not fit right on this side either – only 2 of them fit. Then while trying to rubber mallet one of the Q12s into place, I snapped it (will have to order another one – Mistake #2 on the day).

As I’ve mentioned before, Geoff and I are trading playset labor – he’ll be building a playset later this spring and so when he does, I’ll come over to help him. Last time he was here, he joked of another reason why he’s helping me first – that way he can look at our playset and then just one-up whatever we do. So when we were putting in the first bay windows he said that now he knew that his playset was going to have 2! :) I guess now he needs to have 3!!

After the soffits went in – it was time to put on the rest of the roof rafters. I had put in the top one on each side in a previous step as part of securing the rafters, but now it was time to put the rest of them on (except for 3 rafters on the right side that are intentionally left off until a future step – I believe in conjunction with creating the crow’s nest area).

I put the first (new) one on, and then realized that the rafters were on wrong (Mistake #3 on the day!). I’m no roof expert, but even I can tell when the rafters are set up in such a way to have the rain fall INSIDE versus just rolling down the roof. So I had to unscrew those and turn them around. It was a bit tricky to get all the rafters on. The first few on top went okay because I could just put the ladder underneath the empty part, but as I got lower and lower, my opening gradually disappeared. Eventually though I got them all in. My assistant Scott was very helpful in helping pass me boards.

Last step for the day was working on setting up the clubhouse porch support boards, and then it was time for dinner.

Here’s a shot from the next day – starting to look like an actual clubhouse!!

Day 18 time: 4.0 hours
Total time: 33.0 hours
Mistakes made: 3 today (13 total)
Steps completed: 59-66 (out of 103)

Skyfort Playset Installation – Day 16 (4/14)

Thursday is our crazy day with 2-3 kid activities which requires a lot of running around. I was supposed to drop off my 6 year old son at soccer and then come back to work on the playset, but I just didn’t feel comfortable leaving him there so I decided to wait for awhile till Carolyn could come stay with him, so it ended up being close to 7pm before I got to work.

First order of business was trying to find the 1″ wood screws – no luck. I ended up having to call customer service and they claim that they’re being shipped.

The previous day Geoff and I had put the window boards on so today I was “framing” the bay windows. That quickly turned out to be a problem as the Q12 boards were too big to fit in their space. The Q12 boards were 11″ long and the Q8 boards were each 2 3/8″ wide. So that’s a total of 15 3/4″ required, but the 3 sides of the H9 windows boards were 15 1/4″, 15″ and 16″, so only one of the three windows “fit”. So I decided that I’ll need to cut those Q12 boards to size, but I decided not to bother with that at this time. Again, I’m not counting that as a mistake for me because I don’t think there’s anything I could have done.

Final step for the day was putting on the rafters on the roof of the clubhouse. This was kind of tricky to do and required me to get an external ladder on the side in order to be able to access the bolts on the outside of the rafters.

Here’s a picture of that as well as you can see in the background the bay windows I was talking about earlier

Day 16 time: 1.5 hours
Total time: 29.0 hours
Mistakes made: 0 today (10 total)
Steps completed: 54-58 (out of 103)